Memphis is Elvis’ town.
It was great getting to know the King of Rock better. I toured his home, Graceland. Actually, I was invited to brunch, as you can see below.
This is where we had brunch ...
And hung out in his media room ...
Graceland was much smaller than I expected, but I have come to understand that Elvis was a rather humble man.
This is the living room that opens to the music room. His parents’ bedroom was just off the living
room.
The staircase to the master suite ...
We did not tour the upstairs. This is the back of the house which leads to the racquetball courts and the trophy room.
And .... his grave, next to Mom and dad ... he died at 42 ....
His famous PINK CADILLAC!
And, of course, got a ride in the red cadillac!
I toured the Rock and Soul Museum where I learned a lot about
the history of segregation and music.
Back in the early 50s black and white artists did not even play
together. It was just changing
when Elvis hit the scene. What an
incredibly talented guy Elvis was.
He was just born with it – and seems the amazing hip torquing, leg shaking routine was
just part of the gospel experience in his church.
The Peabody Hotel was totally wonderful.
Very plush hotel with ducks hanging out in the fountain in the middle of the very elegant lobby.
Waaaaay adorable.
... reported to me that the ducks have the penthouse suite. At 11 am he brings them down in the elevator where they march across the lobby to their fountain, spend the day and at 5:00 pm are ushered back by him. He advised that he is having a power struggle with one of the female ducks!
Beale Street marked the beginnings of B.B.King, Isaac Hayes, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis, to name just a few. It seems that the cotton pickers would sing wonderful gospel songs in the fields and some of them ended up on Beale Street which became soul City USA ... and began the desegregation of music.
We walked a few blocks. This is Silky O’Sullivans and The which are on the most famous corner of Beale Street.
We stayed on the grounds of Graceland at the RV park, so couldn’t have been more convenient.
The park itself was great – had regular shuttles to Beale Street and a humungous lush green park of its own.
... and now ... I am in Checotah, OK (home of Carrie Underwood) eating fried pickles, a specialty here!
Love, The 3-Sum


























No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.