July 12, 2012

In LOVE with Colorado Springs ....


Have been to 29 states now.


We are leaving Colorado Springs, my favorite place in all of the country so far.  It's been a real adventure in our six days here, probably too much.  It started off when I passed Campground of the Gods, our RV park, headed for Pikes Peak.






How can you pass something this huge?   Probably because I spent hours driving along high winding mountain roads from Alamosa to the Colorado interstate. I almost peed a couple of times.  










ended up in the quaint town of Manitou Springs and was headed up to Pikes Peak … so … at the turn about 



I said to Carolina, ‘I gotta do this’ as I swung wide and made believe there were not 3 other streets intersecting.  I got 3/4s of the way around and I either needed to get out to see if there was room or find someone. I saw a guy, with his wife and kids, took my loooong index finger and called him over.  I needed this young man more than I have ever needed a young man. I pointed down, he looked around, understood and waved me on until a certain point when he shook his head and walked away.  Holy shit.  I was taking up an entire intersection.  I got his gaze again and curled the long finger again and pointed to my window.  He came over, very reluctantly and I said, ‘you think I can make it.  He said, ‘I dunno’.  I said please help me.  He stopped to the curb, then tippy toes to the street light as his index finger signaled me on, little by little, when all I can say is God shrunk my coach.  As I drove away, I smiled at my young man and gave him the high five and all the people who just so happened to be watching this whole thing clapped. 


I have taken too many pictures, had too much fun and adventure, and if I die tomorrow, I will give God a High Five.   Colorado Springs is a beautiful, diversified, city filled with quaint sub-cities, a sophisticated and historic down town surrounded by mountains, sprawling hills and canyons and lush nature galore.  And, it's got a great energy!   


We began with down town, which consists of about 15 blocks of attractive buildings,  many historic, brick sidewalks, and gardens galore with Acacia Park at the center.  


Acacia Park



A law office, of course.

















The library ....

The incredible Pioneer museum ... and a few more .... love this steeple; I believe it is the most attractive I have ever seen, at least to my eye.



The museum was incredible.  So much rich history.


The amazing steeple




This is a private club ...  

















.... Interesting entry ... 


Church on the outskirts of up town 

Up town, we should call it, is built on a few hills that rise above the flatlands like another strata with bridges over the railway that escort you to town in grand style,  and all of it surrounded by huge mountains.   



Uptown 


One of the wide bridges that escort you into up town, which is where the cars are headed.




Incredible old building which is now apartments.

The next day we went to 


where else but the incredible Broadmoor Hotel where I had Sunday brunch 



and was pampered at the spa.


This exclusive resort is a city in itself ... Very impressive.  It has its own lake surrounded by beautiful mountains with a promenade to stroll around. 


Wonderful reflection on the lake



Lady of Leisure






The next day we went  to the amazing Garden of the Gods which is a mini Bryce Canyon/Zion.  Stunning.  



Our car 



 Riley's a good climber


The family ... riley's there, just hidden. 


This is balancing rock.  In the next photo you can see how it




Day 4 was the most hair-raising, thrilling experience of my life so far – drove 19 miles almost straight up to Pikes Peak 14,000  miles high, and 19 miles almost straight down – and I have a fear of heights!  


I turned around at the two mile mark; I just couldn't do it.  Waaaaay too freaked.  Talked to some people, got a little therapy, turned back around and headed up and up and up .... 



... until the fog was so thick you coul dnot see anything but the yellow divider lines ... 




By the time we got to the top, I was insane and it was completely fogged in.




We were all working around in the fog, feeling we had made it to heaven and so proud of ourselves for doing the trek ...



We huddled in the 35 degree cold with 13 Hells Angel types on bikes who gave us more therapy and introduced me to my car's Mountain gear which I thought was just one gear, but it three.
.

And, took out photo ... then we headed down.  I tried to bribe one of them to chauffeur us down ...  but nope, had to do it myself ... and I did ... all 19 miles


And, at some point, after we got out of the fog, and the rain, 


I noticed I was smiling …. And driving with one hand … and old pro I had become!

Day 5 was Cheyenne Canyon where we hiked up to Seven Falls and Helen Falls.  Very nice.



Our last day we spent walking the springs at lovely Manitou Springs (where our adventure began at the turn about).  The town was a mile from our park.   Actually, everything in Colorado Springs is within a few miles, down town, Garden of the Gods, the Broadmoor, Pikes Peak, the falls!



Downtown Manitou Springs.  This is where I would live.  Nope, not planning on moving here, but will spend some summers.


Manitou Springs has 7 natural spring sites.  Each site was made into a lovely park.  For a small town of a mile or so, there are a lot of parks. Spring park number one above and two below.




Another wonderful street of this town at the foot of Pikes Peak










Park 3.


Lunch in Manitou Springs.




Springs site 4


Old Bridge from creek trail to town.  Carolina's always truckin' at 13 now.


New beau, Lewis.


Historic estate.


Another nice block in Manitou Springs


Wonderful hotel.


Spring 5


 Spring 6


 Spring 7

We are off to Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park now.  Woa!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.